News/Information Web Service:
AgingOpportunities.com was launched in 2002 by AgingOpportunities Information Services and Garner-Aldrich Publishing to provide news and information to aging services network, public health, health care, gerontology, geriatric
and other professionals working in the field of aging.
AgingOpportunities Information Services also produces Aging Opportunities News Online (www.agingopportunities.com/breakingnews.html), an online source of news stories, breaking news and links to press releases and newspaper articles in the areas of aging, health care and medical research, as well as occasional reports and analyses available for purchase.
Website creator Nancy Aldrich has more than 30 years of journalism experience
in the health field covering federal agencies, Congress, academia and advocates,
including writing about the Administration on Aging, the National Institute on Aging, academia and aging organizations. She was the editor of the acclaimed Older
Americans Report for nearly 20 years, reaching a vast professional audience with essential
news, information and analysis.
AgingOpportunities Information Services, created in 2002, offers the services of Nancy Aldrich as a writing and editorial consultant. Her recent projects include the following:
- Developed "Driving Transitions Education: Tools, Scripts, and Practice
Exercises," for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,
through the American Society on Aging, http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Traffic%20Injury%20Control/Articles/Associated%20Files/811152.pdf
- Produced annual media backgrounders on aging topics for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/Health Benefits ABCs (www.healthbenefitsabcs.com/). Topics to date include:
- arthritis, www.asaging.org/media/pressrelease.cfm?id=57
- cardiovascular disease, www.asaging.org/media/pressrelease.cfm?id=82
- caregiver health, http://chronicdisease.org/files/public/CIBHealthofFamilyCaregivers.pdf
- caregiving in Indian country, http://chronicdisease.org/files/public/CIBIndianCaregiving.pdf
- cognitive health, www.asaging.org/media/pressrelease.cfm?id=104
- disaster preparedness for professionals, www.cdc.gov/aging/pdf/disaster_planning_goal.pdf
- disaster planning tips for older adults, www.cdc.gov/aging/pdf/disaster_planning_tips.pdf
- epilepsy, www.asaging.org/media/pressrelease.cfm?id=105
- fall prevention, www.asaging.org/media/pressrelease.cfm?id=59
- immunizations, www.asaging.org/media/pressrelease.cfm?id=60
- oral health, www.asaging.org/media/pressrelease.cfm?id=85
- physical activity needs of older adults, www.asaging.org/media/pressrelease.cfm?id=40
- shingles vaccine, www.chronicdisease.org/files/public/shinglesFINAL3_21_08.pdf
- smoking cessation for older adults, www.chronicdisease.org/files/public/smokingFINAL3_21_08.pdf
- Edited Sustainable Communities for All Ages: A Viable Futures Toolkit, produced for Blue Moon Fund (Just Partners and Jefferson Area Board for Aging, Charlottesville, Va.), http://www.viablefuturestoolkit.org/
- Wrote articles on prescription drugs for Consumer Reports' Best Buy Drugs website (www.crbestbuydrugs.org/).
Disaster Preparedness and the Chronic
Disease Needs of Vulnerable Older Adults for CDC's online journal, “Preventing Chronic Disease,” www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2008/jan/07_0135.htm.
- Created long-term care technical assistance toolkit for the National Indian Council on Aging.
- Compiled best practices reports for the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging, including:
Previously, Aldrich was editor of Business Publishers, Inc.'s Older
Americans Report, Aging Research & Training News, Aging
Services News and Report on Disability Programs. She also designed and compiled the first edition of BPI's Directory
of Aging Resources, and received BPI’s Chairman’s Award for Excellence and Dedication.
She is a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists, Journalists
Exchange on Aging, National Association of Science Writers and National
e-News and Information for Professionals in the Field of Aging